June 25, 2009

RIP, Captain EO

Google always impresses me with the speed with which its index is updated. Still, as fast as it is, it's not actually instantaneous. This afternoon, one of the girls at work got a call from her husband saying Michael Jackson had died. He didn't have any details, so she immediately turned to the internet and googled "Michael Jackson dead", clicking the first result that came up.

After 1 minute of skimming the article, she started running around the office telling employees and patients alike, "Did you hear? They found Michael Jackson dead at his house, and he's been dead for like 20 years and the guy that's been running around saying he's Michael Jackson all the time is an imposter!"

I immediately smelled something fishy, so I followed her back to her room to check her source. Sure enough, since the Google index wasn't quite updated yet, that first Google result she followed was this article, from that bastion of sober journalism, The Onion.

1 comment:

Adriane said...

Wow! I didn't know you had a blog. I don't know why, maybe I just haven't been tuned in. I really liked your weight blog. What a great idea to tell the world how you're doing and feel some sort of accountability! It was good to see you. I've got a great picture of you and your girl on the raft at Aunt Maren's house. That will be my next blog post!